Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sewing sewing sewing


Matt brought home the mainsail for me so I could lay it out with the sail cover and mark all of the hardware placement against it. So now that's done I have been adding the closures on the bottom. All that we have left to do is take it back to the boat, put the sail back on, install the jiffy reef and the boom hardware for the lazy jacks, measure the gap we need to close on the front of the sail cover, take it off again, and sew a custom panel to go over the front of the mast, attach the connection points where the sail pack ties to the lazyjacks and then we will be done. Phew. 

Here's another tip: the DVD that comes with the sailrite kit contains a different video from the one on youtube. The methods are a bit different. I thought the one on youtube was more geared to beginners. 

Also I burned out a bearing in my sewing machine. I keep oiling it but I think I need a replacement part. Not sure how to proceed with that since there aren't exactly numbers on it. 


Haha. Sailcover=couch potato. 

Meanwhile at the yacht club Matt has faired the hull. 




And gotten one coat of primer on.  






5 comments:

  1. Great story. I am in the process of purchasing a Grampian 26. The owner seems hesitant to sell after we looked at her. I pressured him for a Friday sale after we see the motor run. Fingers crossed. All original fairly well kept. The only major problem was the deck needs attention. I assume you had some cracking. Did you gouge all the cracks and fill before painting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Krickets. I hope you get the boat. They really are tough old ladies. We like to joke that we are the wrecking ball in the mooring field because we are usually between two hunters and if we ever come to find both of them sunk we will know how it happened . . .

      Anyway, we only gouged out the major ones where you could get a fingernail in. The crazing, the tiny hairline cracks that are very shallow we left alone. They came back. I am not really that upset. I am told they will likely come back even if you fill them, but let me know what happens if you decide to go after them all.

      Delete
    2. Well, I got the boat. Delivery is tomorrow. I have to pay to deliver and get it shipped to my house. I will go from there. Here it is, I am not sure how long the page will last.
      http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/4418419942.html

      All the pieces are there and at least 8 sails. I will keep watching you as you are a few (many) steps ahead.

      Delete
    3. Congratulations! I can't wait to see more interior photos and your before and after, though, from the outside, it looks to be in quite good shape.

      Delete
    4. I started a blogspot so I can keep track of my progress. and put up pictures. I can follow your's and see my next steps.
      http://grampianvoyager.blogspot.com/

      Delete